Sunday 4 March 2007

Kawalis Masr Project

The other day (Thursday) a very pleasant coincidence occurred... as i have been demanding continuously to be fed with Egyptian music, Bahz brought me a cd back home. It is the first compilation by a project called Kawalis Masr, or Egypt Backstage. This is a very interesting project, they use music done by musicians (meaning not just a pretty face singing commercial songs) and distribute it for free; the costs are covered by the publicity inserted in the funky looking booklet inside, a picture of the booklet is shown:


Immediately, i put the music on my computer, and i fell in love with one of the tracks called "Darabou El-Amar" or "they shoot the moon" from a band called Eskenderella (Alexandria in Arabic):

http://omoniak.ath.cx:8888/af_nono/DarabouElAmar.mp3

Now you might understand why i loved the song so much...minutes later, Balal came back home and he told me there was a free concert the following day (Friday) in the Jesuit Centre by...Eskanderella!!! I could not believe it :) Of course we went and the whole concert was simply amazing: the band is composed by a guy in the laud that sings too, a pianist, a percussionist with two djembes and two female singers:


After the concert, many of the people that assisted to it gathered in one of the classic meeting places in Alexandria, a cafe called Tugaria (sorprendentemente similar a tugurio :D). I met by chance some spanish people that i was due to meet since i arrived, but we never did...so was another nice coincidence. I met as well many interesting others that offered me their valuable help in my research. Apart of the people, i met another lovely cat, that loved me so much too. As soon as i got in the cafe i looked at him and smiled, then i went to sit for an important meeting with Haythem (one of the founders of the NGO), and oh surprise! the cat ran to me jumped on my lap meanwhile i talked :) He was so fixated with me that when later on i left my jacket on one of the chairs he jumped on it and dozed peacefully:


Once everyone was gone, Haythem and me stayed there until breakfast time (9am) talking about more potential projects within the NGO and funding possibilities in Egypt for other projects. Very productive and interesting meeting i have to say. In the way back home i took this picture in the seaside:


I really like the dissolving skyline...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

<3 cats.
That one looks so cute 8)
I will check out that music later, when I am not at work. Looks a great time though, I have come across some interesting stuff recently too, going to psytrance raves and so forth. This strange eastern European/ middle eastern folkish music crossed with electronica and even drum and bass. Was at a night called ‘synergy’ at SE1 in London, 3000 people there and stalls, environmental leaflets and protest organisations etc.
Great pictures man, and hope you get some good follow up projects and work over there.