Wednesday 14 February 2007

Lost photographs?

It is a pity i do not have my camera with me (Badry borrowed it until Friday for going to Cairo) because there are so many pictures i would like to have taken. The picture of me with my legs hanging off the side of a local carreta [1] pulled by a skanky tiny donkey and driven by a small mustached man holding a cigarette in his mouth. The photograph of Sahad (the "recepcionist" or guard of our building) with lettuce falling over his chin and pulling my arm in a "forced" invitation to eat, with me having to escape as i was going to be late if i stayed there with him. The picture of a woman in my street shouting in an angry and reproaching voice to a man in that pretended to ignore the whole situation. Fortunately i manage to get a picture of the two guys that serve me my Kaua Halib (cafe latte) every morning, they are so nice with me.


The cafe at the end of my street (known as THE cafe) where these guys work is indeed a place where i have been spending quite a lot of time. Last Friday going to THE cafe (mmm i will have to find out the name of it) i crossed the market and i took this picture of my street from my favourite table:

Look at the size of those cauliflowers! (u can click on the pics for seeing it full size). I have to say that i love the detail of the panel of the British nursery; which lead me to the question: what is a British nursery? a place where they speak in english and feed fish and chips to the children? :D . The massive grey wall that can be seen at the left of the picture is the building next to ours. Later the same day that i took the picture, after a meeting (in another cafe) with Bahz and Badry, i came back to the cafe and stayed there all night chatting with Yasser and Khaled. The conversation lasted until 7 a.m. and comprised history, architecture, race, identity, engineering, magic and the weird, religion, another coffee please!!! The next day (actually few hours later) i had to be at 2p.m. in the NGO to sign my contract, so i legally became research consultant and trainer with my best sleepy face.

In any case not everything has been chilling and chatting in THE cafe. In there we did a rough structuring of the course i am going to be giving for a few tens of guys and girls in the next months. In there, Khaled, Bahz and me developed the basis for a proposal related with implementation of renewable energy that has the potential for ensuring the economical survival of the NGO. Yesterday in THE cafe we designed the pieces of furniture that we needed (within budget). From there we went to the wood shop that we discovered the other day, bought all the wood and transported everything to the work shop (for cutting the pieces) in the carreta of the small moustached man. Once back home we begun (we are not finish just yet) to assemble the tables, shelving units, cupboard for the kitchen and the desks. Finally i have a desk! I designed it incorporating the latest recycling techniques: The door of the kitchen was wasting too much (of the little) space in the room, now in my room as been put to better use :D In that desk/door is where many things are supposed to happen in the next few months.

[1] Carreta is the same word in arabic and spanish, in english is a trolley like that one in the picture with the cauliflowers

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, how about youtube? I know it's for video, but don;t be lazy, make a short video with pictures that you post in like windows movie maker or something and insert the audio file on top ;) and voila!

nono said...

There is always some smart ass with an idea that makes me look stupid :D I already thought about it, and is indeed a possibility, but still id like to do with just the audio...Im pigheaded, u know that. Once i manage to do the audio and ive got a bigger amount of pics i will indeed do some mini movie...

thanks for the comment vedo!

Anonymous said...

nonooooo, peazo de coliflor!! ¿te comiste alguna?? yo pensaba q eran hortensias...vistas asi de lejos.. y una foto tuya en tu blog para cuando??? dentro de poco te habras mimetizado tanto en el paisaje que podras ponerte como los seƱores de cafe, sonriendo a fotos de turistas (pero la diferencia es q tu cobrarias por derechos de imagen seguro...) un besito neneeeeee!!